Monday, July 28, 2008

My craft evolution, part 3

I know you've been waiting with bated breath for this. Well, maybe just waiting.

In college I worked a year and a half at an accounting firm. I was your basic go-fer, filing, copying, filing some more, answering the phone a little. I made a whopping $4 an hour. One of the accountants was pregnant and would work on a counted cross-stitch during her lunch hour. It was your basic baby scene with pastel colors and rattles and cute sayings. But I liked how everything looked just so. And hey! I can count. So off I went to Wal-Mart to look at crafts. You could buy little cross-stitch kits with everything you needed for a little Christmas ornament or whatever. I also ended up doing a couple needlepoint kits. Those were nice too. I liked the exactness of the craft, as long as you counted correctly (count twice, stitch once) everything came out right. So started my love affair with cross-stitch. I bought a lot of pamphlets, subscribed to magazines and stitched away happily, making ever bigger and bigger projects. But do you think that's all I was doing? There's more.

No comments: