Sunday, November 11, 2007

Movies




Normally I don't watch a lot of movies but as our TV is turned off at the moment....


There were two that stood out from the ones I watched.

Pan's Labyrinth was nothing like I expected. I expected some children's fantasy story like Bridge to Terabithia or the Narnia series but it wasn't like that. The bad guy was really bad, the spooky things were really spooky(especially the creature with the eyes in his hands, ugh). It also had an other worldly quality because it was set in Spain and was spanish with english subtitles. Over all I really liked it and felt really touched and moved by it. The ending was kind of happy but not really. It really evoked more a feeling than anything.

The Painted Veil was very romantic but with a touch of reality. A woman marries a doctor but is just doing it to get away from her nasty rude mother. She then moves to China with her husband but has an affair. She falls into the trap of believing her lover will take her away but her husband knows the reality of what has happened and what kind of guy she has found. Circumstances made her realize her husband wasn't so bad after all. The ending made me cry.


I'd recommend both movies. When I watch a movie, I don't want to know what to expect so it's more of a surprise and has more of an impact on me.





No comments: