Wednesday, March 07, 2012

Thanks moms

From time to time I peruse the One Million Moms facebook page just to see what stupid thing they are doing now. Yesterday I saw that they were boycotting Carl's Jr for the ad with Kate Upton(Miss Sports Illustrated cover model). They always describe these things in detail and link to the offending ad (because they are so shocked and appalled) so I clicked through to check it out. Well, it worked on me. Made me hungry. So my first thought as always was "I could make that at home" And I did. With a few adjustments. Thank you moms!

One Million Mom Sandwich

1 onion
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
4 slices sourdough bread
4 slices pepper jack cheese
Nacho jalapenos
1 pkg tempeh
Special sauce (below)

Slice the onion into rings. Heat the oil in a frying pan until hot. Saute the onion in the oil until the onion is soft. Put the onion in a separate bowl and set aside.
Slice the tempeh in half and then slice each part in half lengthwise. You will have 4 thin slabs. Fry slabs in hot frying pan for 4 minutes each side.
Now to assemble the sandwich!
Toast the sourdough bread. Spread a tablespoon of special sauce on each slice and layer the sandwich as follows:
Bread slice
1/2 the onion
2 pieces of tempeh, side by side
2 slices of cheese, side by side
Slices of jalapeno, as many as you like
Bread slice
Cut the sandwich in half and serve.

2 sandwiches

Special Sauce
1/2 cup mayonnaise or Miracle Whip
4 T sweet chili sauce
1 T Hickory barbecue sauce

Stir together.

It was fabulous. I used tempeh because I had some and my hamburger meat is all frozen solid. I think you could use whatever kind of meat you have. Sliced roast beef might be good. Today I brought hot dogs to try with it. The special sauce is an adaptation of a santa fe sauce I found online. The version online had taco sauce in place of the sweet chili sauce. I'm sure that would be just as good.

No comments: